The Return Merchandise Authorization in Magento Enterprise is built in functionality that allows customers to return their products if you want them to. The great thing about RMA, is that you can allow products to ALL be returned, or just allow specific products, conversely, you could also disallow the returning of specific products as well. With RMA, you will also have the ability to approve or deny returns, with expanded functionality to, choose how the customer's return is processed. For example, you can give the customer "store credit" instead of a straight refund. Magento takes a practical approach to returns, allowing you to accept part of a return in what is called "Splitting". This means, if a customer returns two products at one, you can accept one product, but deny the return of the other product. An additional feature of RMA is that you can even print the return shipping labels directly from the admin panel through integration with a carriers website.
To start with, you will want to go to System -> Configuration. From here, you will want to select your Store from the upper left drop down. Then click Sales Tab -> RMA Settings.
- Set "Enable RMA on Frontend" to "Yes".
- Set "Enable RMA on Product Level" to "Yes".
- If you would like returns to go to the store address, set "Use Store Address" to "Yes", otherwise set it to "No", and fill in the required fields.
If RMA is enabled on the product level, navigate to your products and you will now have a setting under the "General" tab that is "Enable RMA". The default is to use config, but you can disable it by selecting "No" for certain products if you wish.
This will allow Magento to send customers emails at different stages of RMA Processing. System -> Configuration -> Sales Emails. Click the RMA field. You will find several Tabs "RMA", "RMA Authorization", "RMA Admin Comments", "RMA Customer Comments". For each one, there is the ability to enable it, choose the RMA Authorized Email Sender (email@domain address). The template to use, the template for guest (doesn't apply to customer commnets), a field to add addresses to copy the email to (CC) and the way that the copy (CC) email is sent.
Shipping Methods For Returns
System -> Configuration -> Shipping Methods. Select the return service you wish to use, for this, we'll use UPS. Set Enabled for RMA to "Yes".
- Navigate to Sales -> RMA -> Manage RMA Item Attribute. For this we will create an attribute field that will let the customer indicate if they would like a phone call to assist with their return process.
- Click "Add New Attribute".
- Set "Show on Frontend" to "Yes" so that the customer may select it.
- Choose to use it in the default EAV Form.
- Click "Save and Continue Edit".
- Click "Manage Label/Options".
- Under "Manage Titles" fill in how the attribute will display in the admin. For this we use "Needs Assitance".
- Click "Add Option". We will have "No" as the default.
The customer can begin a return by going to "My Account" then clicking on "My Orders". Next, they click on "View Order" for the order that they wish to view, and submit a return for. They will see a screen like this:
Then, they click on "Return" in the upper right hand corner and are shown form we created earlier. Notice, it also has the attribute we created from before:
After they submit the form they will be able to view their return requests under "My Returns" tab:
In the admin, you will be able to approve return requests by navigating to Sales -> RMA -> Manage RMA
- To approve or deny or change the "way" a return is processed, click on "View".
- Cick to the RMA tab. Select how you would like return to be "resolved" under "Resolution".
- Change the status under "Status". For this order we will give the return "Store Credit" and "Authorized".
- You will also have to set the Authorized Quantity to the amount desired. For this, it's 1. Additionally, since we used a custom attribute, we will need to click on "Details" to see that the customer "Needs Assistance"
- Click on "Okay" to approve.
You will also notice a "Split" link on this grid. With that, if a customer has requested to return multiple items, you can split the request and approve certain items, but not others.
Note: Guests can also return orders by click on "Orders and Returns" in the footer of the site:
They will then see this screen:
There are also three ways to place and return request in the admin area. I will list them briefly: RMA Managing Section, Order Management section from the Order View Page, and Customer Management Section from the Customer View.
Generating Return Shipping Labels
After the return has been set to Authorized, go to the General Information tab. In the upper right, a new link should appear "Create Shipping Label"
A new Pop-up will appear:
Select the shipping method you'd like and click "Ok":
From here, click "Add Product" button and enable the product by clicking the tick boxes for each product you want to generate the label for:
Click "Ok" and Magento will connect to the Carriers Website and Generate the Label which you can then print. To do this, click "Print Shipping Label".